Reports to: Organizing Director
Direct Reports: 0
Location: 2 options – Portland or Salem, OR
Salary: $35,000 – 40,000 full-time equivalent, pro-rated depending on number of hours FTE
Type: Part-time(Salem)/exempt, Full-time(Portland)/exempt (Salem – 20 hrs, PDX – 40 hrs) We are open to negotiating number of hours for either position.
Deadline: Open until filled. Qualified applicants will be screened and advanced on a rolling basis. First application review will begin on August 3rd.
Family Forward Oregon and Family Forward Action are public policy and advocacy nonprofit organizations that fight for the economic justice for women and caregivers. We believe that caring for our children, our parents, and others in need of care is a not only a fundamental principle of a civilized society, but a fundamental part of our economy – and the lack of value for the work of caring for others is one of the root causes of large-scale gender and racial inequities.
We work for systemic change by 1) shifting cultural attitudes about women, work and care; 2) organizing people to fight for a more fair system; and 3) advocating for bold public policies — like paid sick days, paid family and medical leave, a higher minimum wage, equal pay for equal work, and affordable childcare.
We are seeking two Regional Organizers, who will be responsible for executing regional aspects of our statewide organizing program and ensuring that it meets organizational goals. We are building a new organizing program, one that will combine elements of transformational and power-based organizing, and that will involve more mothers and other caregivers in grassroots systems of change and political work. The Regional Organizers will work within their communities to identify supporters, activists, and cultivate activist leaders who are prepared to engage on Family Forward’s issues.
The Regional Organizers will build a strong base of support among mothers and other caregivers in their region who are trained, engaged, and motivated to advocate as grassroots lobbyists. The new organizing program will be heavily focused on volunteer leadership development. Regional Organizers will report to the Organizing Director and will work closely with the other members of the Organizing Team. There may be an opportunity to supervise teams of Fellows/Interns.
Family Forward is a feminist organization committed to racial and gender justice. It is critical that the Regional Organizer understands and is able to communicate about systems of oppression and experience organizing groups across race and class is preferred. If you are looking for an opportunity to impact the lives of women and families, we are eager to meet you.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Build a strong base of support in assigned region(s) by increasing number of identified supporters, activists, and volunteer leaders.
- Launch and sustain volunteer leadership teams (Action Teams) centering mothers, caregivers, and others most profoundly impacted by the issues.
- Facilitate monthly Action Team meetings and work closely with volunteer leaders to execute community outreach, education, and engagement activities.
- Identify leaders for and support year-long Mamas Lead training program cohort.
- Collect stories and prepare story-sharers to engage on Paid Family Leave and Affordable Child Care campaigns.
- Learn and use organizing tools to expand Family Forward’s reach and influence.
- Manage volunteers and fellows in support of grassroots base-building and engagement, legislative advocacy, and electoral work*.
- Relationship-building with activist leaders with a heavy focus on leadership development.
- Maintain excellent data records of activists and activities.
We are seeking a passionate, fun, dynamic, leader and collaborator who can help us take Family Forward’s organizing program to the next level.
Desired qualifications include:
- Commitment to Family Forward’s mission.
- Knowledge of how race, class and gender oppression impact the women we organize.
- Experience with and commitment to working in a multi-racial environment.
- Background in organizing, advocacy campaigns, and/or politics.
- Experience working with volunteers and moving others to action.
- Experience working with and organizing women of color.
- Experience working with mothers and other caregivers, and a deep understanding of how the demands of caregiving impact women’s lives.
- Experience building leaders and deepening the engagement of members and volunteers.
- Excellent time and project management skills and the ability to juggle competing priorities and deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience working remotely.
- Demonstrated effectiveness as a team player. Confident, friendly, professional, resourceful and helpful. Willing to take on small or large tasks, and to try new things
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment — taking initiative and also knowing when to seek help.
- Willingness to learn new things.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Fluency in Spanish helpful.
- Strong computer skills, including familiarity with the VAN, Microsoft Office, Google programs, video conferencing technology and CRM platforms.
- Available for evening and weekend activities.
- Willingness to travel as needed to other parts of Oregon and occasionally out-of-state for meetings or training opportunities.
- Access to reliable transportation.
Family Forward offers an excellent benefits package including generous PTO, full employee health and dental insurance, access to a retirement savings plan, along with scheduling flexibility and the opportunity to work from home part-time. People of color, queer, transgender, gender nonconforming people and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce.
If you’re excited about this position but do not meet 100% of the qualifications listed above, we encourage you to apply. Please submit your resume, cover letter, and a writing sample sharing your journey to gender and racial justice to Nichi Linder at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Regional Organizer (Salem or Portland)” in the subject line. Please be sure to indicate which region you are applying for. Thank you for taking the time to explore possibilities with us!
*Electoral work will be executed under the Mother PAC, which is affiliated with Family Forward Action.