Our hearts are full of grief and anger in light of the mass shooting in Texas where 19 beloved children and two admired teachers were brutally murdered at their school. This extremist violence happened just ten days after a white supremacy-fueled mass shooting at a grocery store in New York by a man who targeted his violence against Black people, killing ten cherished family members.
These were just two of the hundreds of mass shootings in this country so far this year.
As mothers and caregivers, this violence always hits us really hard — compounding the individual and collective trauma these all-too-common acts of gun violence create. We’re so angry about the utter inaction in policy spaces that allow this type of gun violence to remain common in the United States — even as it remains exceedingly rare everywhere else in the world. As of this year, gun deaths are now the leading cause of death among children in our country.
Right now, our policy makers are asking us to choose to train our kids to prepare for and deal with gun violence over taking the necessary policy actions to prevent it. Some big things must change to make this country one where all our children, and their families, are safe and thriving.
We hope you’ll continue to fight alongside us as we advocate for those changes.
Actions shared via our friends and partners at Our Children Oregon
Take Action in Oregon
- Sign the ballot initiative petition for IP17 that will reduce gun violence by making gun owners safer and ammunition less lethal. Signatures are needed by the end of June to ensure IP17 qualifies for the ballot.
- Participate in events with Moms Demand Action for Gun sense and Students Demand Action Oregon.
Take Action Nationally
- Volunteer with Moms Demand Action or Students Demand Action, the grassroots networks of Everytown for Gun Safety.
- Sign the petition from Sandy Hook Promise calling the U.S. Senate to vote on HR8 which would implement universal background checks on all firearms sales. This legislation was passed by the House of Representatives in 2019.
Support the Uvalde Community
- Donate to verified fundraisers for people affected by the Robb Elementary School shooting in Uvalde, Texas.